Thursday, July 06, 2006

07/03/06

So there was a Party.

There was a lovely party at my mother's house with wonderful friends and family and swimming and sliding and running around like maniacs.

And then there was the CAKE.

A 3 foot high, 3 dimensional giraffe cake with buttercream frosting, chocolate spots and fruit leather ears, standing on a bed of green frosting and green shredded coconut.

Now you may wonder Why?
Or How?
Or What the hell is wrong with you people?

The truth is that we may be a little crazier than we had even knew.

And that my Step-Father is the kind of guy who says "Giraffe Cake? Great idea! I'll go out to the wood shop and build a wooden armature for it!"

And that my husband is the kind of guy who understands the physical make up of many creatures and can easily sketch them onto pieces of wood to be cut out and arranged properly.

And that I am the kind of gal who will spend many hours baking yummy dense and sticky yellow cakes and giant vats of butter and sugar and food coloring for enough frosting to cover a 3 foot giraffe cake and all it's wooden structural elements.

Combined we are a birthday force to be reckoned with, and who may have inadvertently ruined birthday-cakes-as-we-know-them for my 2 year old, who now has an exceptionally high bar for the rest of his birthdays.

Whoops.

Behold:
















Now I'm off to plan birthday party number 2 this weekend for our friends and family here.

Anybody have a wooden elephant skeleton kicking around??

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! That little emperor has no clothes!

Here's a link that might interest you and your fellow purlers of wisdom:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTknucks.html

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap! Look at that cake!!!! I'm seriously impressed.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Tricia said...

now that...THAT is a birthday cake! Suddenly the strawberry shortcake cake i had when i was 5 doesn't seem so special! :O)

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to be so disappointed with any other birthday cake I ever see. Seriously. you've ruined them for me too and I wasn't even there!!

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home